Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Mine

Rick had this picture blown up and framed for me for my birthday. It is gorgeous in a frame and I think I may have him enter it in the fair next year. I love how Katie is so naturally happy, which is true most of the time, except, well, when she isn't. She is having a great time in this picture plucking grass from the trail we were on. The wind was intense, but hello we live in Wyoming. He was going to put Katie centered for the picture, but there is something unique and pretty about her being off center.
On another note, and I am still mad at myself for not taking pictures, I went to FMC today and got a mine tour. They had safety day at the mine and we were able to go and down and see what it's like. I, of course, embarrassed Rick with all my questions, some of which were true blond moments. I got to see the tool, a roof bolter, that Rick uses. It is bigger than a truck and he has to stand in front of it and put in the roof bolts. The guy told us that it is the most intense of jobs in the mine as it is the most physical, and wet. Wet and Trona don't go well together and dermatitis is a common malady. I never thought I would ever use the word malady and look at me. The things I do on this blog!!!!
Anyway to get into the mine you have to go down the shaft, 1500 feet underground. YIKES is right. If any one comes to visit then a tour is in order. I want to go all the way to the long wall and see where Rick is working. That is a good jeep ride underground away from where I was. About 30-40 minutes. So I will wait for someone to go with me. I also got to put out a simulated kitchen fire. Very good to practice. I didn't know how to do it and when a real one happens it isn't a good time to learn. I am sooooo sorry I didn't take pictures, I am kicking myself, promise. I know you all wanted to see me put out the fire. But it wasn't that interesting. I didn't catch my hair on fire or anything. Rick's work though is interesting, and anyone who wants to see the mine should make a trip out. It sure isn't something anyone sees everyday, unless you work at a mine, then you may skip that trip.
We looked at houses today and are pretty excited about what we saw. Keep your fingers crossed we may have our very own place sooner than later.
Rick starts graveyards tomorrow night. He is on a rotating shift. I will be starting work Monday and Katie will be starting daycare. Wish us luck, this is going to be a hell of a transition.
Love
Amy

2 comments:

Nikki Lukas Longfish said...

that is an awesome picture of Katie! Good job Rick! Don't you dare stop emamiling me when you do a new post on this blog. I know whats going on with you guys way more now since you've moved. That mine tour sounds crazy! I can't even image.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture! I framed the one you sent me and it is on the mantle (with a lot of others!) The mine sounds like a trip...would be interesting I am sure. Glad you got to practice on a pretend kitchen fire! They are NOT fun!!! We never get tired of your blogs...keep 'em comin' girl! Love, Mom/Grandma