Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The Graveyard

Well Rick is on his way home from his first grave shift at the mine. He is exhausted when he gets home, but he says the shift itself goes really fast. He goes to bed around 2pm, and hard as we try, we usually wake him up by being too loud sometime around 7pm. Yesterday we stayed out as long as we could, and we were playing out in the front yard, when Katie, bold as day, walked over to the 4 girls next door, aged 3-11, and asked to play. I was giddy with the fact that she was playing with children and not being shy, that when they asked to go see her room I said yes. To my credit I told them to be quiet as Rick was asleep. Alas, I didn't think about 5 girls together makes for a loud situation. We had the girls go back outside but not before they woke the big tired Dad up. Thank goodness he too saw the merit of Katie making new friends. Today is his last day though. He is home for a few days. Thank goodness, with only one vehicle I am forced to stay up until the ungodly hour of 11pm to get him to the bus stop. Unfortunately we don't know what is going on still as someone outbid him on the crew he was on, and now he is crewless. Sometimes it feels like they are jerking him around just to make sure he wants to stay!!
In other news, Katie will be finishing up her first week of daycare today. I know, I know, it's only Wednesday. But I didn't want to burn the poor lady out on us. I am easing her into the Copsey madness. Katie LOVES going to Lizzy's house. That is the little girl. She never cried when I left her the first day, and yesterday she told me to leave. She has yet to say one word to Lizzie's mom, but that will come with time. I am relieved that she is happy, and safe. The first day I thought I was going to throw up from anxiety, and guilt, after I left, but when I returned to find a happy child I was on the brink of tears. I could have thrown myself at Nessi's (the mom) feet, but I thought that would make her think I'm weird.
Little by little Katie is growing up. At this moment I am here in the office typing on this blog, and my little baby came in and asked me if she could go in the backyard. So she is out there and I am not. Oh the Independence.
I think I may go cry, my baby is growing up...

1 comment:

Dee said...

im crying. ugh. i miss you guys. had a breakdown the other day and wished you guys were in ssf for me to come by and eat and vent. ugh. love you!