Sunday, August 9, 2009

The Great Flower Race of 2009 and a Sunday Picnic

Early in the year, the girls and I decided to plant some flowers and race to see whose flowers bloomed first. I planted California Poppies, Amy planted Oriental Poppies and Katie chose Painted Daises which took longer to sprout, but grew more flowers than mine or Amy's.


However, my California Poppies sprouted and bloomed first! Having said that, I should note that I had a total of about 5 flowers that survived to bloom. I guess they don't like Wyoming too well.


Amy had bad luck with her Oriental Poppies because she put all of the seeds in the packet into her little 10 inch flower pot. I kept teasing her that it looked like she was growing lettuce. However, the poppies did begin to shoot up after mine and Katie's bloomed, but in the interest of full disclosure, Katie picked all of the petals off Amy's flower as soon as they opened so that she would not win the race! What a little cheater. Oh well, all I can say is like father like daughter! Amy did get some of her flowers to bloom and they turned out very nice.



Moving on to a nice Sunday picnic...


This is a spot I had heard about at work, so we decided to pack up some food and have a nice Sunday picnic. It was a beautiful day for a drive and the scenery was magnificent. We had a good time exploring a place we had never been before and eating junk food along the way! It was only a short drive away from our house, so if anyone wants to see this scenic loop, then we can take you when you visit. We accept reservations anytime!!!


Katie's fingers were itching to catch some fish in this creek!


Amy reminded her that we did not bring any fishing poles, so there would be no fishing on this day. I kept looking on the mountain for deer and elk, but never did see any. After lunch we continued to drive and enjoy the scenic mountains.


The end of the loop brought us to a place where we could look and see the Flaming Gorge and it sure was magnificent! Now that we have scoped this place out, anyone who wants to see it for themselves, come on out! We have a place for you to stay.
Take care- Rick

1 comment:

Grandma said...

Pretty flowers...looks like you are all winners!!! I'd definitely like to make reservations...including the fishing pole please!
Junk food also sounds good...I'll even bring some. So when is the best time???? Looks like every season has it's own rewards! I would have a hard time picking a favorite time, although winter is probably out, even though it would be pretty! Love, Mom