Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Out for a drive

Out here in Wyoming, going for a "drive" could take hours. It can also take you to a lot of neat places. Rick decided to go on one of those drives two weeks ago, and this is where it took us. South Pass City was a mining town a hundred years ago, and now it's a ghost town. The state took it over and is refurbishing the buildings. I assume the 7 people who live here are caretakers. The town is open in the summer for tours. I can't wait to see it all. To get to it you drive down one highway for about 45 minutes, then another highway for 1.5 hours, and then 2 miles on a dirt road. You would miss the dirt road if you didn't see the sign. Leave it to Rick to find some out of the way piece of history.

Some of the buildings have been historically refurbished, and some, such as this one are waiting their turn. I was told that some of the buildings you can walk in, and some have barriers, to keep you out, but you can look inside and see what it would have looked like.


I am guessing this was the ice house. It is built in the side of the hill. I will let you know for sure when I go back. I don't know about you but I can't imagine a town where everyone lives for years, and then when the jobs run out, it becomes a ghost town. It is something I had only read about in books. There is an area I am curious about with houses from the 70's, only houses, that is now a ghost looking town. It is next to 80 near Rawlins, and it creeps me out. Why were the houses there in the first place? Why doesn't anyone live there anymore. If you know where I'm talking about please comment, or email me. I want answers. It may not even be a ghost town. I'm not brave enough to get a closer look.
This is the Carissa Mine. It was a coal mine, that helped support the town. Rick is able to look at it and think of how those miners had to get the coal out. Pick axes, shovels, and sticks of dynamite. Not to mention how they moved the extracted coal. They would be amazed to see how it's done today.
The tall building is the mine shaft. This is a huge elevator that takes the men, supplies, etc down and up into the mine. Except for it being wood the shaft Rick used for work isn't much different, at least not in my eyes. Ask him, or any other miner, and they will probably notice a lot of discrepancies.

Yup road trips out here are an adventure. There are dirt roads galore to explore. I wonder where we'll head to next!!





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great time you guys have had seeing Wyoming! I bet there are a lot of people living there that still haven't explored half the places you have! Keep up the good work...both seeing and blogging! We love it! Mom/Grandma